Fishing, kayaking, boating and… hiking? Water shoes – protective, active, water footwear – are no longer the unsightly and impractical beasts that they once were. They’ve evolved into a form of utilitarian footwear, a combination of sneakers and sandals.
Their popularity has soared, but with a plethora of options comes confusion. In this guide, we’ll help you avoid the confusion, walking you through exactly what a water shoe is, how to approach buying one and the best one for fishing, boating and, yes, hiking.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 Top 5 Best Water Shoes (Summary)
- 2 What Are Water Shoes
- 3 Benefits of Wearing Water Shoes
- 4 Pros and Cons of Wearing Water Shoes
- 5 How to Choose the Best Water Shoes For You
- 6 Types of Water Shoes
- 7 What Makes Great Water Shoes
- 8 16 Best Water Shoes for Men and Women 2019
- 8.1 1. Aleader Mesh Slip-On Water Shoes – Best Overall
- 8.2 2. Merrell All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoe – Runner-Up
- 8.3 3. Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 4.0 Water Shoe – Best Budget Shoe
- 8.4 4. DOUSSPRT
- 8.5 5. Speedo Surfwalker 3.0
- 8.6 6. Speery Top-Sider Men’s Flex Deck Water Shoes
- 8.7 7. NeoSport Paddle Water Boots
- 8.8 8. Columbia Men’s Bahama Slip-On Boat
- 8.9 9. VIFUUR
- 8.10 10. Easy USA Women’s Aqua Wave Water Shoes
- 8.11 11. Merrell Women’s All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoe – Best for Everyday Use
- 8.12 12. Zhuanglin Womens Mesh Slip-On Water Shoes
- 8.13 13. RYKA Women’s Hydro Sport
- 8.14 14. KEEN Women’s Whisper Sandals
- 8.15 15. Columbia Drainmaker iii Trail Shoe
- 8.16 16. UBFEN
- 9 Water Shoes vs Regular Shoes
- 10 Water Shoes for Beach vs Water Shoes for Kayaking
- 11 Does More Spending Mean More Quality
- 12 How to Clean and Maintain Water Shoes
- 13 Do’s And Don’ts To Do With Water Shoes
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions
- 15 The Verdict
Top 5 Best Water Shoes (Summary)
||Check on Amazon|
||Check on Amazon|
||Check on Amazon|
||Check on Amazon|
||Check on Amazon|
For more detailed and complete product reviews on benefits and features, keep reading.
What Are Water Shoes
Water shoes are footwears specifically designed to provide adequate traction and best foot and toe protection as they are meant to be worn in wet and slippery environments. They are usually made of leather or mesh materials to promote breathability and drainage, which are necessary for shedding water and debris with ease.
Most of them will fit snugly to your feet, allowing you to move comfortably in the water while keeping your feet well-protected and also providing the support needed as you wade through water. The superb traction makes them essential to be worn during any water activity or sports.
These shoes typically have a closed toe and a covering, keeping your foot protected and secure when you are engaged in any kind of water-based sport like kayaking, surfing, scuba diving or water skiing.
Also, their outsoles are usually sturdy and at the same time flexible enough to allow your foot a good range of motion when walking, hiking or sporting in and around water bodies. They are versatile footwear that functions well in and out of water.
Besides being effective for numerous water-based sports and activities, aqua shoes can also be useful as boots for hunting or while you wear an ankle holster to conceal your handgun. These footwears also work well as beach shoes and the best hiking shoes if you are going to wear these shoes for hiking and if you’ll be hiking in waterlogged terrains or where you will likely be crossing streams, lakes or rivers.
Benefits of Wearing Water Shoes
Aqua shoes offer several benefits to the wearer, but the primary ones are:
The typically thick sole of water shoes protects your feet from sharp rocks, fish hooks, coral reefs and other sharp objects beneath the water surface. They also secure your feet from ice cold or hot surfaces, as well as from parasites. Their waterproof nature also ensures that your feet are safe from bacteria that can grow with regular shoes when they become soggy and damp from soaking water.
Shoes for water are designed to have excellent traction, which prevents you from slipping or falling in the wet and slippery surfaces for which they are intended.
Their soles feature plug or studs which serve to ensure a firm grip as you stand or move on a surface, even a slippery one. They are recognized as an essential kayaking accessory in some reviews of fishing kayaks. This is because they offer an extra level of protection against slipping on rocks or even on the kayak’s deck as you enter or exit the vessel.
We’re not talking about flip flops here. Slides have their place, too – the local pool or, say, a public shower – but water shoes, just like durable snowshoes, are generally designed for more active pursuits. Ever walked on a sharp, rocky lake bed or floated through turbulent whitewater after falling out of your boat? Aqua shoes protect your feet from the spikes, bumps and abrasions of the unfriendly underwater world, all while keeping the rocks and sediment out.
In search of a “one shoe to rule them all” type of thing, have blurred the line between water sports and land sports. It wouldn’t be a stretch to call them amphibious shoes rather than water ones, because they’re good on land, water and in the air (you know, when you prop up your feet to lie back and take a nap). Depending on the model, they’re equally at home on an overnight river trip, on a rainy walk through the city or on a sailboat destined for the sunset.
Because water shoes are obviously meant to be used in water, companies recognize the high possibility of slippery footing and the importance of a grippy sole. In all the situations listed above, above-average traction will give you an advantage. But… many, if not all, of these traits, can be found in normal hiking shoes. What can shoes for water do that regular one don’t? Hint: Squish, squish, squish…
The purpose of these shoes is not to keep your feet dry. You can accomplish dry feet in a number of ways – sealed rubber boots, Gore-Tex socks, staying at home – but aqua shoes are a less expensive, more durable and infinitely more fun option. Your feet get wet, so what? The important thing is that they don’t stay.
Pros and Cons of Wearing Water Shoes
Shoes for water offer the wearer several advantages and a few limitations. Outlined below are some of them:
- Great traction: Regardless of whether you are walking around your neighborhood or the pool, hiking, strolling around town, rock climbing, scuba diving or just strolling around town, the rubber outsole will give you a firm surface grip, reducing the chance of slipping and falls. The superb traction also makes them useful and safe as shoes for people who like mountain biking.
- Maximum protection: This footwear is sure to protect your feet from sharp objects and rocks and also keep you from sustaining toe injuries that can occur from stubbing your toes on rocks, boulders and other hard surfaces as you swim, walk, run, mountain climb or generally explore.
- Versatility: They can be used for rock climbing, hiking, trekking or running. And if you are trailing, a good pair can offer you the ease and benefits of running on a trail in comfortable shoes.
- Functional in multiple terrains: Designed to function adequately in and out of the water, they are waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about them getting wet while walking on the coastline, strolling along the beach or running in the rain with them.
- Not adequate as active shoes: Some styles may not have the necessary foot support, durability or stability the hiking boots or running shoes would have. Thus, making them unsuitable to use for such activities.
- Relatively expensive: This footwear is usually far pricey than other types of beach and sports footwear.
- Minimal options: Because they aren’t near as popular as other types of footwear, there are only a few options available compared to their running, trekking and sports counterparts.
- Bad smell on hot days: After they’ve been sloshing around in premium hiking boots all day? ‘Nuff said. Wait, isn’t that a benefit? Because shoes for water are uniquely able to do the job in so many different situations, they’re not the best for specific situations. All of these shoes have great breathability, but on hot days when you don’t need the full-foot protection of a shoe, open sandals will be more breathable and, most likely, more comfortable. For cold weather when you know your feet will be wet, your water shoes, similar to water resistant hunting boots, won’t provide much insulation. And while they can be decent on land, they won’t provide the protection or support you would want on a long, multi-day hike.
- Another pair of shoes: With an extra pair of shoes comes an added expense and another piece of gear to pack and clean.
How to Choose the Best Water Shoes For You
There are many factors that make a quality aqua shoe. Lesser quality may have imperfect or irregular stitching and a flimsy feel. You may also feel rough edges on the inside, as cheaper manufacturers cut corners by leaving out pads to cushion hot spots.
For whitewater kayaking, you’ll want a shoe that stays on in any situation and will provide the protection and traction you need for standing in rocky rivers. For flatwater kayaking or vacation fun, a comfortable, quick-drying option will do the trick. If you’re just starting with this sport, make sure to also pick perfect kayak for newbies though, so you’ll get into the game fully equipped since they one.
If you will be sitting in a boat or standing on the shore, you don’t need to have fancy footwear with technical properties. Instead, wear what’s comfortable. Standing in a boat? Prioritize traction.
Better shoes will utilize tackier rubber on aggressive soles – our reviews below tell you which shoes lack a tacky sole. Wading in a rocky river? Look for traction and foot protection, including a lacing system that won’t let it slip off. A shoe with ample support, something you can tell from the rigidity and height of the upper, is also a good idea.
Shoes for water are a great choice for short hikes due to their quick-drying properties and breathability. Look for an option that has a rugged sole and plenty of protection. If it utilizes elastic in the heel, make sure it won’t stretch too loosely, or it won’t keep your foot in position on steep uphills.
Regular laces, rather than an elastic pull tab or a slip-on shoe with no lacing, will provide support while on irregular terrain. Keep in mind that wet feet will be more prone to blisters, so a shoe that breathes well and fits your feet right off the bat, without needing to break it in, can save you hours of pain later.
Hiking shoes look even better if you wear great hiking shirts with them, so make sure to take that into account when purchasing your pair. Once you’ve perused the list below and picked out the option that best fits your needs and activities, do your best to find it in a store and try it on. If you’re ordering online and aren’t sure of your size, find a site that has a lenient return policy and order one pair of your best size guesses to ensure you’ll get the perfect fit – then return the one that doesn’t.
Types of Water Shoes
These types tend to feature thick soles, open toes and strap lacings. They may have a mesh lining around or feature a durable sandal. Their open-toe design often makes them considered as sandals. However, their thick sole and strap wound around the heels enhance better cushioning and support compared to the regular sandals.
The sandal-type protects the feet during short walks and offers breathability and ventilation, but they do not provide enough for hiking, running or trekking activities.
These types are ideal for versatile use. They are a cross between sandals and running shoes. Closed-toe shoes feature the sandal design but offer a mesh lining, a proper lacing system and a padded collar.
They provide all the benefits of sandals like breathability and drainage and also provide more arch support and protection from sharp rocks, sand and sunshine.
These types are purposed for hikers, runners, trekkers, mountain climbers or backpackers. One great thing about them is that they are as comfortable as conventional running shoes.
They are designed to have the same durability, stability and cushioning as those of the running or hiking shoes with the apparent difference being that they feature drainage holes around the sole to allow water in and out of the shoes. These shoes are bulkier than other water shoes, making them the perfect option for those who are looking at having a sturdy pair of shoes that functions well in and out of the water.
These types are designed like a sort of running shoes, explicitly made for use in water. They are made out of durable rubber and don’t feature outsole, are lightweight and offer excellent drainage and ventilation. These are ideal for barefoot runners and beach and water sports. This category of water shoes is typically made out of rubber, making them lightweight and highly flexible such that surfers find them useful for controlling their surfboards.
These are not technically socks, though many of them are designed to look like conventional cotton socks. Most of them feature a little bit of traction on the sole, while others use thick rubber to provide support and cushioning.
Water socks offer many benefits. They are comfortable to use and versatile as well. Some of them are purposed to be worn underneath shoes that will get soaked in water, while others can be worn alone around the pool, on the beach and other calm water environments.
What Makes Great Water Shoes
When looking out for the best pair, there are several factors to consider. Some of these considerations are thus:
Considering that shoes for water are intended to be used in wet conditions, it is crucial to get those that are made out of materials that can dry off quickly. Synthetic materials are a great option here considering their waterproof nature, which is essential to keep your feet dry and they do not retain water.
Look out for a thick sole, especially if you want to use your pair for hiking and trekking, as it will provide protection, proper traction and be more durable. A thin sole is more suitable for use on the beach, around the pool and inside the water.
If you want to protect your toes from injuries that can come from stubbing them into underwater obstructions like rocks and boulders, it is vital to look out for a pair that features toe guards.
Ventilation is vital to help your feet and shoes to dry faster, thus preventing the growth of mold, which can occur in damp shoes. Models that feature breathable mesh allow for proper ventilation and these are the ones you should be checking out.
It is essential that your footwear allows water in and out of your feet easily or else your feet will get heavy or the shoes can even slip off your feet. Some aquatic shoes feature drain holes on their soles, while others will have actual holes or vents cut into the material. And in some cases, they are made out of porous materials which wick out water automatically.
A lacing system is essential to keep your shoes on your feet, particularly if you are going to use them for hiking, mountain climbing or trail running. A pair with a sound lacing system will keep your feet secure and comfortable. However, if you a looking for a pair for more casual use, you may opt for sandal strap design which is easier to slip on and out.
Footwear with proper heel reinforcement and padding can reduce chafing (which is a common problem with aquatic shoes), hot spots and blisters on your bare feet. Neoprene is a great material for heel reinforcement, as it is soft, flexible and also offers excellent insulation, which is a plus for providing warmth in colder environments. Thus, aqua shoes made from neoprene can work well as waterproof boots for ice fishing, to help in keeping the feet warm.
Support and Cushioning
If you are looking to purchase a pair for more active use like running, walking or hiking long distances, it is best to opt for those that will offer your feet good cushioning and support for your heels, mid and forefoot.
A supportive midsole, as is found in tactical boots is a vital feature that plays a crucial part in keeping your feet comfortable and reducing the impact on your joints from moving over rough terrains and long distances.
Look out for a pair with a stable platform, especially if you are going to use them for climbing, trekking, running or hiking.
Your model must fit securely on your feet. If they are size appropriate, you don’t have to worry about chafing, blisters or losing them while wading through the water. A securely fit pair is even more essential if you plan to swim with them as you will not stand the risk of having them swept underwater from your feet.
Pick out a pair that fits snugly to your feet. You should try it on and walk in it a bit to make sure it fits you right. The footwear must be comfortable and fit the foot properly because they are intended for use in wet conditions so the chances of chafing and blistering are high.
Durability is a vital consideration if you plan to use your model in and out of the water as this means that you will be wearing them for more extended periods. Look out for a pair that is made with durable materials that can survive being submerged in water over and over again, as well as rubber soles, which can offer the right amount of traction and sturdiness to withstand the heavy-duty use of walking over stones, rocks and sand.
Traction has to do with the outsole. It is one of the most crucial aspects, considering that they are intended for use on wet and slippery surfaces. A pair with the right amount of traction can be worn with warm heated socks, if they are not insulated, to serve as warm snowshoes for winter sports.
Choose a pair of aquatic shoes that has the amount of traction that matches your need. A heavy-duty sole is excellent for navigating slippery rocks, while a thin sole which offers more flexibility is better suited for use in pools and watersports.
Though aquatic shoes are purposed for use in the water, they should be well-cushioned to ensure greater comfort. Your choice should have in-built padding for comfort and shock absorption if you are going to be using them on rocky shores and terrains, to keep your feet from feeling the impacts from the sharp edges of rocks.
16 Best Water Shoes for Men and Women 2019
1. Aleader Mesh Slip-On Water Shoes – Best Overall
Aleader Mesh Slip-On Water Shoes for men are perfect shoes for relaxing on the lake or going for a hike along the river. They are breathable to keep your feet cool during the hot temperatures. What’s more, they are also quick-drying.
You can also comfortably wear these shoes without socks or your favorite ankle holsters. The shoes have holes on their bottom to enhance drainage. This means that the shoes won’t weigh you down when you are walking on a water-logged surface.
- Durable and breathable mesh upper
- Solyte midsole makes shoes exceptionally lightweight
- Excellent bounce back
- Water grip outsole facilitates exceptional traction
- Don’t keep out sand or pebbles
- Gravel-sized rocks can get wedged into the treads on their soles
2. Merrell All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoe – Runner-Up
These shoes are built like typical water shoes. They have a quick-pull bungee lacing system that is designed to wrap your foot tightly. Their lacing system works well and consists of quick-action laces.
If you want a secure fit, you can also tighten the laces. Merrel All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoes for men also consist of thick and sturdy soles so that you won’t feel the sharp rocks under your feet as you wear them. The upper of the shoes are made of leather and are waterproof.
- Very comfortable to wear
- Eeasy to get them on and off
- Quickest drying
- The shoes have treads on their sole that makes them grip well even on wet and slippery surfaces
- Great lacing system
- The soles are thick and stiff. You can even wear the shoes for hiking
- The sole might wear out with continued use
- The openings on the shoe let in rocks and sticks
3. Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 4.0 Water Shoe – Best Budget Shoe
Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 4.0 Water Shoes are perfect for use in the pool, in the shower or in even at the beach. If you are looking for the best water shoes for men that don’t cost much, then Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 4.0 Water Shoes are the right shoes for you.
They are made with breathable mesh and are lightweight. They consist of rubber soles that are treaded to provide extra traction. The latching systems of these shoes are designed to tighten quickly with just one pull of the bungee strap.
- Doesn’t soak up water
- Effective traction that makes it perfect for use on slippery and wet grounds
- Permeable to water even when it is fully submerged
- Patented drainage system to quickly drain water from the shoes. This means that the shoes won’t get heavy on your feet
- Quick drying
- Breathable mesh upper to facilitate airflow
- The soles are thin and soft. They are not, therefore, good for rough terrains
DOUSSPRT Water Shoes come in men’s sizes 7 to 16. They also come in a number of different designs, but this is limited to a selection of grays, blues, white and black.
The body of these shoes is made up of a mesh material. This makes them very breathable and helps them dry quickly.
They have elastic laces over the tongue. These laces help make it easy to put the shoes on and take off.
The soles are thick to protect your feet from debris. They also have a unique tread pattern that will give you plenty of traction in slick conditions.
- Mesh design is breathable and quick-drying
- Elastic lace design is easy to take off and put on
- Thick sole adds protection and traction
Available only in men’s sizes
As far as the Speedo Surfwalker Water Shoe goes, your comfort and safety are top priorities. Plus, with a wide range of sizes, any man can find a choice that fits him.
A pair of these shoes are made from synthetic materials that are meant to last. This material makes up an S-shaped sole meant to both protect your feet and offer plenty of traction.
These are also made to be quick-drying, so you won’t have to worry about soaked feet for the rest of the day once you’re out of the water.
They have an upper stretch as well. This makes them easy to pull on and take off.
- Available in men’s sizes 7 through 14
- Stretchy material makes for an easy pull-on fit
- S-track sole offers both protection and traction
- Men’s sizes only
If you are looking for water shoes that will look great on your feet while still offering you an extra level of comfortability, then Speery Top-Sider Men’s Flex Deck Water Shoes are the right water shoes for you.
What makes these shoes to feature in our list of the best water shoes for men is their innovative technological design. They feature a quick-drying mesh that is breathable so that your feet will stay fresh all day. They have a solid sole that is firmly attached to their upper through a vulcanized construction technique. This makes the shoes to be very reliable and durable almost like tactical military boots.
The shoes also have a molded EVA footbed for additional comfort. The best part is that you can remove the footbed and use orthopedic insoles if you need extra support on your foot. Speery Top-Sider Men’s Flex Deck Water Shoes also feature a Molded Hydro-Grip that helps to reduce any slippage.
Their bungee laces also make them easy to put on and take off. The laces are also adjustable if you want a secure fit. The shoes come in five colors: Black, Grey, White, Orange, and White.
- Reasonable price
- Very comfortable
- The molded EVA footbed provides maximum comfort
- The molded hydro-grip outsole helps to reduce slippage on all types of surfaces
- Unique outsole design facilitates stability and agility
- Squeak when you walk
- Not ideal for you if you have flat feet
Whether you love exploring underwater worlds or you love water rafting and kayaking, your feet will be kept comfortable in these NeoSport Paddle Water Boots. They come with a zipper-less design and are made of a premium neoprene material.
The shoes feature an adjustable Velcro strap that makes the shoes to be easy to wear and take off. The shoes are also perfect for use on a tough outdoor adventure due to their heavy duty soles that are puncture resistant.
- Reasonable price
- Upper is made of soft and comfortable neoprene material
- Designed to keep your feet warm
- Sole offers fantastic stability and high-traction
- Perfect for all water activities
- Thin outer-sole
If you like to spend most of your spare time at the beach or swimming pool, then Columbia Men’s Bahama Slip-On Boat is the right choice for you. The shoes are lightweight and well-ventilated to add to the pleasure of wearing them.
In terms of good traction, Columbia Men’s Bahama Slip-On Boat is raised up to par. This is due to its rubber outsole that is razor-siped. These shoes are also easy to wear and are incredibly versatile. You can even wear them while you are running your errands or even while driving.
- Ideal for all activities around the water
- Look classy and can be worn even on a daily basis
- Offer excellent wet and dry tractions
- Durable hence they can stand the test of time
- Large combination of colors
- Very breathable and comfortable to wear
- Limited style selection
You have plenty of options when it comes to VIFUUR Water Shoes. Not only do they come in a range of kids’, women’s and men’s sizes, but they come in 44 colors and patterns as well.
These rubber-soled shoes will help to protect your feet from rocks or sharp debris in and out of the water. They’re also recommended for non-water wear as well.
These are also meant to fit in much the same way as a low-cut sock would. They’re also very breathable and will protect your feet without feeling constricting.
They also have a stretchy fit. This makes it easy to take them on and off without the use of straps or laces.
- Wide range of sizes and designs
- Rubber outsole protects your feet
- Smooth and stretchy fabric that’s comfortable to wear
- Can tear easily
If you are looking forward to engaging in water sports activities, then look no further. Easy USA Women’s Aqua Wave Water Shoes are the shoes for the job. The appearance of these shoes makes them beautiful to be worn outside.
The shoes have a high level of comfortability and boast of a degree of being lightweight that would make walking, running or jogging less hard. These shoes can also be used for vacation.
The shoes are made from strong materials that make it have long lasting capabilities. The fact that these shoes can be used for different activities makes them fun for trying out. The shoes being slip on, just makes having them even easier for activities such as sailing, boating, kayaking, rafting, among others.
- Thick rubber sole for long lasting effect
- Slip-on style for quick and easy removal
- Textured rubber sole for long lasting effect
- Durable that means it can last for a long period of time while still in use
- High level of stability
- Adaptability for different water sports activities hence its versatile nature
- Various sizes for different feet sizes
- Comfortable due to the thick rubber sole
- Long-lasting durability
- Stable because of the rubber soles embedded on them
- The quality of the shoes might need to be improved further.
11. Merrell Women’s All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoe – Best for Everyday Use
What more could you possibly be looking for? If you are a lover of water activities and your hobby is to play in water and splash all day long, then you might want to save up for these amazing shoes.
These shoes come in various designs but they guarantee great presentation because of the appealing outlook they have. The materials used to make them are durable hence the ability to last longer.
Merrell Women’s All Out Blaze Sieve Water Shoe; its peculiar name does suggest its amazing features that are super great. They also enable one to go for longer, faster as well as go further. This is why this pair of shoes is a must-have.
- The Unifly responsive Cushioning system enables long distance walk in the beaches
- Molded TPU external heel counter which guarantees stability
- Cutouts for an attractive look making one have a feel of beauty
- Varied designs to choose from depending on one’s options
- Various colors to choose from too depending on one’s choice
- Ideal for hiking and can be used in beaches
- Appealing and attractive
- Made from durable and great materials
- Come in varied sizes
- Comfortability nature because of its heels
- Decent support for the heels
- Lacks the arch support in the heels
The features in these shoes are worth the sacrifice. You would want to go on a water activity when on vacation and wondering what shoes are ideal for that. Worry no more because Zhuanglin Womens Mesh Slip-On Water Shoes are just what you may be looking for all along.
These shoes not only have great quality but they perform highly as well. When you look for shoes, choose a pair that guarantees nice and comfortable fit as well as supportive ones. Its lightweight trait just makes it ideal for various water activities. The mesh allows for quick drying when in contact with water.
Zhuanglin women’s shoes are also fun to walk in because of their amazing features. The mesh features situated at the bottom and sides of the shoes not only make it attractive but it offers a superior breathing aspect to the shoes for aeration and water removal.
- Articulated flex grooves provide amazing comfort and major motion ranges
- Midfoot webbing system offers the lightweight feature to guarantee breathability
- Slip on hence can be removed and worn easily
- Ideal for river walking
- Ideal for water aerobics
- Great performance
- Variety of sizes for different feet sizes
- The medium hole size allows for rocks to filter in the shoes
Ryka Hydro Sports women’s shoes are one of the best water shoes for women. They are designed with a quick-dry upper and feature a webbing brace that offers midfoot support. The shoes answer to the water fitness needs of women. The sole is made of a flexible material and also includes a water drainage system.
- Aggressive design with adjustable lacing system offers maximum support
- Features mesh covered holes in the bottom to facilitate drainage
- Extremely comfortable
- The sole is made of sticky rubber to provide better traction even on wet surfaces
- Breathable mesh on the upper
- Webbing midfoot cage offers lateral and medieval support
- Features a speed lace system that facilitates easy wearing and taking off
- Not ideal for hiking
As a woman, you need a loyal companion as you go about your adventures. These shoes qualify to be one such as they feature a feminine specific style as it is designed with a woman’s foot in mind.
It has a patented toe-protection that will offer your foot trusted protection. Its lacing system facilitates easy on and off comfort. What’s more, these shoes have a multidirectional lug pattern on their sole for increased traction.
In terms of comfort, KEEN Women’s Whisper Sandals features a footbed that is universally comfortable. Its midsoles are flexible and lightweight to provide the right level of cushioning and support.
- Fast drying
- Well-designed footbed that will effectively contour to the shape of your foot
- Thec closed toe construction that makes it much more stable
- The closed toe construction also protects your feet when you are on an adventurous
- Super simple to adjust
- Excellent travel shoe
- It’s narrow in the toe box. If you have wide feet, you will need to order up a half size
Columbia Drainmaker iii Trail Shoes are made to handle a wide variety of outdoor activities and water sports. If your feet are going to get wet, then you would be better off wearing Columbia Drainmaker iii Trail Shoes because you can never go wrong with them.
This pair of shoes features large drain ports at its forefoot and heel to drain water from the shoes. It also has a removable insole to provide your foot with cushioning. Its sides and upper are made of open mesh material to make the shoes breathable and to dry quickly.
The overall design of the shoes is good since it looks like the best trail running shoes. This makes it a versatile pair of shoes.
- The midsole ports facilitate water drainage and air-flow
- The upper is made of mesh to make the shoes dry fast
- Outsole is lugged for maximum traction
- super-comfortable to wear
- The sole is made of rubber hence very durable
- Small pebbles may filter in the shoes due to the holes.
UBFEN Water Shoes are another pair with elastic laces. This time, though, they have a plastic fixture that allows you to tighten and loosen them as needed.
In addition to the elastic laces, these shoes are also generally stretchy. This helps to give you a full range of movement and extra comfort.
These have rubber soles that help with protecting your feet and adding water resistance. They also use convex dots to create an anti-skid grip. Even better, these dots aren’t large enough to allow debris to get lodged into them.
- Thick, light and stretchy material
- Very durable sole with great wearing resistance
- Flexible twist and loop allow easier portability
No kids’ sizes available
Water Shoes vs Regular Shoes
Models for water are typically made out ofwaterproof materials, while the regular shoes are not necessarily made out of waterproof materials. And because aqua shoes are waterproof, they do not harbor any bacteria when they are wet, unlike the regular shoes which can become a haven for nasty bacteria when they wet or damp.
Water shoes are designed to have sturdier soles to protect your feet from sharp objects and rough surfaces and since they intended for use in wet environments, their soles are constructed to provide better traction necessary for navigating slippery surfaces safely. The regular shoes, on the other hand, work well with minimal traction. Aqua shoes are also usually designed to slip on and removed quickly, while most regular shoes feature laces which you have to spend time tying.
Water Shoes for Beach vs Water Shoes for Kayaking
This footwear is versatile and most designs can work perfectly for a walk or a run on the beach sand, as well as for kayaking. While a variety of non-heavy duty models are excellent to use on the beach, the type you wear for kayaking will largely depend on a variety of factors.
These include the temperature of the water, the type of kayaking you intend to do, the weather condition and if or not you will have any need to exit your kayak for some hiking or a walk on the coastline.
Just as it is essential to have the right shirt for hiking on while going hiking, it is also crucial to wear footwear that is appropriate for the kind of kayaking you plan to do. For instance, the sandal-type is excellent for kayaking in warm weather, plus they offer great comfort if you need to exit and re-enter your vessel while kayaking.
Does More Spending Mean More Quality
Water shoes are usually more expensive than other regular beach footwears and sports shoes. These footwears are essential gears for getting the most out of any water-based activities and sports because of the protection and comfort they offer.
Hence, it is expected that the higher the quality of a pair, the more you will be required to spend for it. It is no news, therefore, that quality comes at a price and in this case, comfort and protection are additional benefits. Thus, spending a little more for your safety and satisfaction is justified. The durability of aqua shoes, when handled properly, is another point to justify their usually high price-tag.
How to Clean and Maintain Water Shoes
You must clean your aqua model after each use to remove debris and wash off any dirt and sea salt. Though different materials will require different methods of cleaning, a simple rinse with warm freshwater, if they are not particularly dirty, will suffice.
However, if the shoes are quite dirty, you can give them a deeper clean by soaking them in some warm soapy water and after a few minutes, rinsing them off with warm freshwater. After rinsing, ensure to let them dry out completely before you store or wear them again.
Do’s And Don’ts To Do With Water Shoes
Although this footwear is useful for a lot of activities in the water and on dry land, there are some dos and don’ts with aqua shoes. Some of these are outlined below:
- Rinse them with warm freshwater after each use.
- Wear them in water parks, beaches and other wet and waterlogged environments.
- Wear them for hardcore hiking.
- Store wet or damp footwear.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best activities you can do with water shoes?
They are essential equipment necessary to get the most out of a variety of water-based sports and activities like, scuba diving, surfing, kayaking, swimming, fishing and wet terrain hiking. They are also ideal for use while strolling on the beach or coastline and around swimming pools.
Are water shoes slip-resistant?
Superb grip and traction are some of the primary features to look out for, considering that wet or waterlogged surfaces are unpredictable. A pair that features a sturdy outsole, reinforced with additional plugs and studs are sure to provide the right amount of traction that is required to keep your feet firmly fixed on the ground and even on wet and slippery surfaces.
Do you wear socks with water shoes?
Whether or not you wear a pair of socks will depend on the type you have and also on the weather condition. Most of them are designed to be worn without socks as they fit snugly to the foot, while some even look like socks themselves. During extreme cold conditions, combining them with a pair of socks can help to provide an extra level of warmth for your feet.
There you have it on the best water shoes for both men and women. You can, therefore, choose the best brand based on your taste and your budget. The footwear market is saturated with a wide variety of model to meet varied needs and budgets. The availability of many options also means that you may be swayed to choose a pair based on aesthetics alone, forgetting about functionality, which is primary.
To overcome this, you will have to determine the intended use as this will help you in choosing the best of aqua shoes for you.
We hope that we have made it easy for you to choose the best water shoes as we have narrowed down your search to the best models. Have a happy splashing!
Photos from: sportpoint / depositphotos.com, Maridav / depositphotos.com, akoldunov / depositphotos.com, loriklaszlo / depositphotos.com and halfpoint / depositphotos.com.