Electric bikes are known for their contribution towards environment. Also known as the e-bikes or power bikes, they do not require paddling. It is very similar to bicycles but they carry a rechargeable battery that accelerates the bicycle. They are many best folding electric bikes are available with varying battery power. The light ones can travel up to 25 to 32 km/h whereas the heavier ones can travel up to 45 km/h.
If you are interested in purchasing one make sure that they have all the important features. There are different designs and sizes of electric bikes.
Click to View Post Navigation
- 1 8 Best Folding Electric Bikes 2019
- 1.1 1. Cyclamatic CX2 Bicycle – Best Rated Overall
- 1.2 2. Prodeco Phantom X2 – Best for Outdoor
- 1.3 3. Addmotor Motan Electric Bike – Best Performer
- 1.4 4. e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition – Best with Public Transportation
- 1.5 5. Onway Folding Electric Bicycle – Best Compact and Portable
- 1.6 6. Ferty Folding Electric Moped Sport Bike – Best for Urban Riders
- 1.7 7. Ancheer Folding Electric Bike – Best for City Commuting
- 1.8 8. X-treme Scooters Elite X-Cursion – Best Full Size Wheels
- 2 Benefits of Folding Electric Bikes
- 3 Drawbacks of Folding Electric Bikes
- 4 How to Pick the Best Folding Electric Bike
- 5 Overall Thoughts
8 Best Folding Electric Bikes 2019
|Model||Max Speed||Our Score|
|Cyclamatic CX2 Bicycle||15 mph||4.8|
|Prodeco Phantom X2||20 mph||4.9|
|Addmotor Motan Electric Bike||23 mph||4.9|
|e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition||20 mph||4.9|
|Onway Folding Electric Bicycle||16 mph||4.7|
|Ferty Folding Electric Moped Sport Bike||18.6 mph||4.8|
|Ancheer Folding Electric Bike||15 mph||4.7|
|X-treme Scooters Elite X-Cursion||20 mph||4.8|
1. Cyclamatic CX2 Bicycle – Best Rated Overall
The cyclamatic folding electric bike allows easy storage and can be taken along while traveling. This e-bike has a powerful motor of 250w which gives a boost of up to 15mph. It has a function that allows you to turn it into a non-electric bike. It has different modes which can be set up according to your needs. The electric assist can be turned partially or fully on by changing modes. There are three different levels: high, medium, and low.
These modes can be selected by the handlebar controls. Moreover, these electric bikes can work for 4-6 hours when fully charged. It can cover up to 31 miles without stopping. This power bike is designed for roads and indoor usage. They are suitable for ages 14 years and above with a minimum height of 5 feet 2 inches.
It is constructed with steel and the thick tires are 20 inches. It is made with style and confirms safety with different mudguards and reflectors. Moreover, for your convenience, the paddle saddle is removable. Its seat can be adjusted according to your comfort.
- It can carry large loads. Grocery shopping is made easy.
- Can be parked easily without occupying much space.
- Easy setup
- Can be folded
- Speed control is limited
2. Prodeco Phantom X2 – Best for Outdoor
Prodeco technologies have made an amazing and stylish electric bike. It is created with very high technology. The battery goes up to 720 watts which makes it more reliable. It can go 28-36 mph. The body is covered with lithium powder that makes it rust resistant. The material used is very lightweight and allows easy portability. It is easily foldable. The design of this electric bike is high-class. You will love going to different places and showing off your new and classy bike.
It absorbs shocks well and the tire quality makes the ride smooth and easy. It has 8-speed gears that allow you to pedal accordingly. This e-bike is not just electric but can fit into different places like a motorbike. It does not take up much space and can be parked easily. Its speed lets you travel faster than a car. This may result in a great collection as you won’t be late and will also help you lose some calories.
- Sturdy and strong design
- Portable due to its foldable function
- Motor is noiseless
- Long lasting battery life
- Easy maintenance
- Can cause battery and motor problems if used in a rainstorm
- Cannot carry many groceries
3. Addmotor Motan Electric Bike – Best Performer
This electric bike is an amazing e-bike which can carry the weight of up to 300lbs which is supported by fat tires that makes your ride less bumpy. It goes for 23 mph and can cover up to 55 miles. It comes with different features like a port for the USB cable to charge your phone. It has 7-speed gears that make you travel at different speeds according to your requirement.
This bike is made for convenience and can fold easily for portability. Its top tube can collapse in order to fold the bike.
The battery charges easily and works great.
- Portability and a foldable feature are very supportive.
- Covers a lot of ground in a short period of time
- Can be pedaled if not charged
- Easy to assemble and maintain
- Comfortable seating position
- The design of this e-bike is not appealing
4. e-JOE Epik SE Sport Edition – Best with Public Transportation
This electric bike is said to be very powerful as it has 350 watts. It can generate a lot of power and make your ride smooth and fast. It is designed with different features that can ease your ride. It has the average speed of 20 mph and is great for a fast commute and you can always add your own pedaling power to it.
The best feature that makes this bike great are the tires that maintain friction and are fat. These tires make sure to absorb shocks and make the ride smooth. It has different gear functions placed on the handle.
- An average speed and motor power
- Can be pedaled
- Great design
- Comes in different colors
- Great quality.
- Folds fast in 30 seconds
- The seat can be uncomfortable if compared to other e-bikes.
- The pedals are not very stiff.
5. Onway Folding Electric Bicycle – Best Compact and Portable
This product has a 250 Watts power motor with 36 Volts and 10 Ah battery made up of lithium. Made up of a foldable aluminum alloy frame it has the capacity of remaining charged for 4 to 6 hours.
It is a 60-pound lightweight bike which is ideal for traveling or for urban use or even to take to the grocery store. Having 16 mph of maximum speed, you can adjust your seat according to your size at any time. All of these features allow you to easily bike to your destinations with no worry about your bike breaking down midway.
The company has given a guaranty of one year but it has been used by many people for more than a year and is used regularly. It has a maximum speed of 16 miles per hour, a maximum distance of 46 miles and a maximum load of 187 pounds.
- The removable battery makes it easier to carry in your car
- The lithium battery has proven to have a long battery life
- Made up of aluminum alloy and is durable for a long time
- Moves faster with electric power
- Poor customer service
- 6 gears are not enough, some are asking for a 7th gear
6. Ferty Folding Electric Moped Sport Bike – Best for Urban Riders
Another exceptional vehicle namely Ferty folding 36V electric moped bike is here to excite your rides. Its frame consists of aluminum alloy whereas its wheels are made of double alloy material. Ferty folding sports bikes battery recharges quickly and takes up to 4-6 hours. There is an adjustable seat that ranges from 80 to 90 cm, appropriate for bikers with a height range of 165 to 185 cm. The folding sports mountain bike has the transmission of Shimano with the speed of 21. It ultimately gives the smooth ride on different kinds of terrains.
Furthermore to this, it features an anti-slip technique that will make the ride safe from slipping. The Ferty is present in 3 colors like black white, white blue, and yellow black.
- It is easy to use and ergonomic sports bike by Ferty for build up for a wider range of bikers.
- The 250W Ferty bike renders full protection because of the presence of rear disc and front brakes.
- You can ride in the night time as well since it contains hand lamp that accompanies LED light.
- The assembling of this bike is a bit tough for a newbie and might require the help of a skilled person.
- You might face the issue of low battery time and have to charge it after a day or two.
7. Ancheer Folding Electric Bike – Best for City Commuting
Among other bike manufacturing brands, Ancheer is popular for its electric-powered bicycle manufacturing. First off, the detachable lithium battery gives you the opportunity to ride fast up to 50 km. The brushless gear motor offers high speed of 25 km per hour. Along with it, the frame is extremely lightweight, made of aluminum alloy material. This folding electric bicycle has got secure brakes with premium 7 speed Shimano transmission mechanism.
The dual coat aluminum alloy wheels are 26 inches in size and give off sufficient traction. Because of the front fork of carbon steel material the bike can effortlessly absorb shock on the way.
Like any other electric bike, the Ancheer 8AH folding e-bike also possesses dual mode option. Through that you can switch from manual to the electric motor. The bike also contains brilliant LED lights and a powerful horn that let you travel safely.
- The structure of the Ancheer bike is made of light but sturdy material that ensures maximum robustness.
- For easy assembling, there is an instruction booklet that will provide you with detail guidelines.
- The bike lacks safety clasp that makes it difficult to stand in one position.
- Its battery life is not long lasting.
8. X-treme Scooters Elite X-Cursion – Best Full Size Wheels
This electric powered mountain bike runs on a 300 watt rear motor that gives it all the power it needs. The battery is lithium which adds to the long battery life. The electric bike has an all-aluminum frame and wheels that make the bike incredibly durable, this adds to its strength. The hydraulic shocks and off-road tires provide incredible grip and traction.
The bike folds into half its original size very easily and makes it very convenient to transport. The electric support allows the bike to run at a speed of 20mph for up to 20 miles after each charge. The bike also features a battery pack in the front that allows for the quick and easy release of the lithium battery.
The battery of the electric bike generally requires 1-4 hours to charge. The bike also features a LED clip-on headlight with operating switches on the handlebar for easy access. The bicycle is very easy to assemble and you can easily do it yourself without any help.
- Very easy to set up yourself
- Folds into half its original size for easy transportation
- Battery time at 20 mph for 20 miles
- Takes one to four hours to charge
- Runs on a rear hub motor that can be operated from the handlebar for easy access.
- The headlight is very shaky and wobbles at the smallest turbulence.
Benefits of Folding Electric Bikes
- Portable – These foldable electric bikes are constructed for its easy portability. No matter where you want to cycle you can always fold it easily and port it to where you want. After it folds it can easily fit into your car’s trunk.
- Commuting Made Easy – Commuting is made easier as the foldable electric bikes do not require much space for parking and can be easily folded and carried through train or bus stations anywhere. The major benefit of a power bike is that there are no more traffic problems. You can easily cruise through due to its speed and when you see a traffic jam just fold it and start walking through the jammed passage. Moreover, the speed of this bike can get you to your destination in less time. No more being late.
- Comfortable – These foldable e-bikes are easy and very comfortable for people of all ages. It does not require much energy from the body. A little paddling will help you get in shape or even just get your body a cardio. Now, elderly people can keep up with their grandchildren and enjoy.
Drawbacks of Folding Electric Bikes
- A Complex Design – These foldable e-bikes have a very complex design. They have a lot more parts than a normal bicycle which means more work and more maintenance. It requires the same maintenance such as oiling, tire pumping etc. You will feel a little annoyed by the extra work but will love its smoothness when you ride.
- Bumps and Irregularities – A folding electric bike may seem very great due to its portability but due to its small tires, it may make you feel the bumps along the road tracks. The smaller the tires the more it is close to the ground. This problem makes the riders a little annoyed.
How to Pick the Best Folding Electric Bike
1. Test Ride
While you are looking at foldable electric bikes you must keep in mind not to rush. Stay calm and make sure that you test ride every electric bike that catches your eye. Testing a ride is very important. It gives you the idea of each and every part, the noise of the motor, the power the engine takes, the speed it can reach up to, the weight of the bike, folding time, folding convenience, tools required for folding, paddling force etc. All these properties are very important to acknowledge as you can choose the right one for yourself.
2. Foldability, Portability, and Weight
A foldable e-bike is heavy due to its installed engine. Many bikes give the property of portability. These bikes have different features and most people search for foldability. If the bike runs out of charge and the pedals do not let you move the bike anymore then this foldable feature may come in great use. Even though it cannot be carried by hand it can be stored in a car. On the other hand, if you want to take your e-bike on the beach or any other track to exercise, then the portability factor will make you love your bike.
Bikes that use large batteries and large motors obviously weigh a lot, which may make it a little difficult to balance and carry around. Folding electric bikes are heavy but for your own convenience make sure to check your ability to lift the weight because weight can cause a problem.
3. Wheel Size of Folding Bike
Traditionally folding bikes are made with small wheels to make their foldability easy. Of course, models with small wheels tend to be lighter and gives you more portability. However, they may lack the ability to speed up. Foldable bikes with conventional size tires are much faster with rolling but their heavy load will give you a tough time while traveling through public transport.
4. Choosing the Right Battery
Batteries are the core part of a folding electric bike and if chosen poorly can turn your expensive e-bike into a waste. There are many batteries with different properties. But the most recommended battery for your folding e-bike is the lithium manganese battery. They are the best and are used even more than the lithium-ion ones. They generate high power and do not require a lot of maintenance.
5. Motor Power
Be sure to check the motor power when buying a folding e-bike so that you can always up your level of speed accordingly.
6. Average Speed
The average speed of a folding e-bike is 25 mph. Even though the speed of 20 mph is only allowed in America, it is easier to pedal which can allow you to speed up. This average speed can take you up to 50 miles. With an electric bike, the battery is all that keeps it going so if your battery is fully charged and working then this speed can be reached in no time. It will help you ride from home to your work without stopping.
Budget is the main part that troubles us when buying expensive equipment. It is a myth that expensive things are better than the cheaper items but it can also turn into truth. In order to save money make sure that you perform a test drive and study all the parts of an e-bike. After all the studying, you will not hesitate to invest your money into something good.
There are many parts that are expensive but there are many parts that work better than the expensive parts. Make sure to spend in bulk.
By all the details and insightful information, you can now make a decision about the folding electric bike. Folding e-bikes are constructed to make your life easier and comfortable. Remember to review each and every attribute of the folding e-bike before purchasing it as some may make you love it but in reality, will result in just a waste.
We have tried to discuss everything that may help you in buying a best folding electric bike. Do not rush while going for it but check twice as it is a huge amount of money and no one wants to have a loss.